We're big, we're beautiful and we're budget! Here are some of the reasons you should get to Sundowners Backpackers as soon as possible:
1. This house was built with luxury in mind! We're in a millionaire's mansion, with a huge garden, barbeque area and swimming pool.
2. Our accommodation is the best. We have big, comfortable rooms that many an expensive hotel would be proud of...but at backpackers rates!
3. Every 4th Night Free!
4. 11 Bathrooms! Four of them en suite, 3 with large baths.
5. Free Internet access*
*we're in rural Swaziland and have no ADSL available, so we connect through a dongle/mobile phone modem...so it's emails and facebook only, folks).
6. Lowest pub prices! We have lots of fun at our poolside bar, complete with barbecue, pool table, dart board and liquor license.
7. Large, cushion-strewn lounge with satellite TV and lots of board games, books and magazines.
8. Super staff who keep the hostel spotlessly clean. They'll also do your laundry (for only R20) and help you with anything else - don't be scared to ask.
9. We're centrally-located.
If you're driving, Sundowners is within easy reach of many shopping centres, banks and anything else in Swaziland - the furthest reaches of the country are only 2 hours away.
Getting around by public transport is easy and inexpensive, as we're on a main minibus-taxi route. For example, taxi fare from Manzini or Mbabane to Sundowners (about 30km - we're halfway between the two cities) is about $1. Taxis stop outside the hostel's gate, and you'll rarely wait more than 5 minutes for one to arrive.
10. The Swazi experience! Swaziland has a very peaceful and relaxed atmosphere, partly because there have been no wars here since the early 19th Century. You'll be met with smiles wherever you go - the Swazi people are exceptionally hospitable by nature, and always eager to help strangers.
Because Swaziland is Africa's last monarchy, it offers Africa's only authentic traditional experience. Age-old practices prevail against outside influences, and you'll see stuff that happens no-where else - the way things used to be.
The Mantenga Cultural Village is about 15 minutes from the backpackers by car/public transport. You'll see a tradtional Swazi homestead, and a display of Swazi dance. A craft market is also in the area.
11. Swaziland is internationally known for its arts and crafts. The main art area of Malkerns, with its amazing candles, batiks and basketry (as well as the ever-popular House On Fire music venue), is a short drive up the road.
12. Swaziland offers a unique touring experience: you can travel the whole country in a day, and experience a wide range of landscapes. You'll see impenetrable African bush, huge sugar estates, African wildlife, small cities, and company towns which retain something of their colonial atmosphere. You'll also see African villages, mining outposts, rural homesteads, rocky mountains, forests and rolling grasslands.
Swaziland has its unique points too. You'll see Sibebe, Africa's largest freestanding rock (and surpassed in size only by Ayer's Rock / Uhuru in Australia).
There's lots of variety packed into a small country. You'll see much of what you'd see in the rest of Africa...but condensed into one memorable day.
13. If it's African game-viewing you're after, Swaziland has a range of national parks. All are within easy reach of the backpackers. See the Big Five, or walk amongst the antelope and zebra at one of the smaller game reserves. There's one just up the road from the hostel.
14. If you're an adrenalin junkie who craves white-water rafting, or caving, paint ball, mountain and quad-biking, we can feed your addiction. If you'd rather go hiking, horse riding or on a treetop canopy tour, we can arrange that for you too.
15. Swaziland is a great stop-over if you're traveling between South Africa and Mozambique. Our staff will help with any questions about onward experiences.
16. Free tea & coffee.
17. Everyone raves about Paula's food! Self-catering facilities are also available, and the cups and saucers all match. If you'd rather eat out, there's a good Portuguese restaurant (one of Swaziland's old favourites) right next door.
All-in-all, we offer:
- best value
- best accommodation
- central location
- many options in terms of type of accommodation, food and entertainment
- lots of space, and privacy if you want it
- Africa's most authentic cultural experience in the continent's only kingdom
- lots of other interesting things to do
- better food than your mom cooks
- lots of fun
- a spotlessly clean, secure environment.
So, backpackers, get here quick as you can! We want your holiday in our kingdom to be as enjoyable and reasonably-priced as possible. Have a cool, comfortable time, make some good memories and experience a different way of life - without breaking the bank!